|Event Start Date||07/09/2020|
|Event End Date||08/09/2020|
Competition is a vital element in regulating mobile and spectrum plays a key part in creating the right environment. This training course is designed to give a thorough background in competition policy, explaining the latest approaches and how they have evolved. It uses a series of global case studies with a particular focus on the EU regulatory framework.
But can you get too much of a good thing? It’s claimed that poor use of competition policy damages investment and leads to unnecessary duplication of infrastructure.
Regulating competition in mobile markets covers the key issues generated by promoting mobile competition, including the tensions that arise from regulating prices, market design through spectrum auctions and the impact competition policies can have on companies’ investment decisions.
This mobile competition training course also takes a detailed look at the engineering issues, particularly the effect on costs and spectrum efficiency as well as the nature of balanced spectrum portfolios.
- The role of spectrum in competition policy
- Overview of EU approach plus global case studies
- Are rival infrastructures wasteful?
- Can a competitive environment be investment-friendly?
- Tensions between competition and productive efficiency
- How competition law is applied in the telecoms sector
- Concepts of dominance and significant market power
- Margin squeeze
- OTT services and network neutrality
- Dealing with concentration in the mobile market
- The EU market review regime
- How convergence challenges established thinking
- Review of latest policies and market developments
The course is delivered by two expert trainers, Tom Kiedrowski and Roberto Ercole, who have worked for competition regulators across several sectors and have backgrounds in competition and telecoms policy, engineering and spectrum policy.
Other benefits include:
- Opportunity to network with international colleagues
- Comprehensive pack of learning materials
- Online booking and discount for early registration
Who should attend?
This course is suited to anyone wanting to get up to to speed with the latest developments in competition policy, whether their background is in spectrum regulation or other related fields at a regulator or in the commercial sector. Likely job titles include:
- Spectrum managers
- Finance, regulatory and policy executives
- Lawyers and economists
The standard price is £600 + VAT but there is an early bird discount of £100 for delegates booking two weeks in advance. Delegate fees include enhanced reading material and three months access to recordings of sessions.
Employees of non-UK governments do not have to pay VAT: full details are on the booking form on the back page of the course brochure.
Booking your place
You can register online or book your place by calling us on +44 (0)20 7100 2875. Class size is limited to a maximum of 20.
The course organisers
The course is run by PT Publishing, which produces PolicyTracker, the journal of spectrum management as well as the Spectrum Research Service, business reports and bespoke research.