Understanding Modern Spectrum Management
The 2016 date for the course has now been confirmed. The other details given below are for last year's course but will be updated shortly.
- New modules for 2015: 5G, Spectrum sharing, The capacity crunch, A new paradigm in spectrum management?
- A thorough grounding in the radio spectrum and its application
- Sessions from world experts including: Professors Martin Cave and Gerard Pogorel as well as International lawyer Ann LaFrance
- Partners programme now available
- Learn through practical experience: spectrum orienteering and mock spectrum auctions - find out more
- In depth analysis of the latest economic and policy arguments
- New base at Harris Manchester College with upgraded accommodation
- Social events including a reception and a formal dinner
- A chance to interact with colleagues from other countries and sectors
- Comprehensive pack of learning materials
- Historic setting in Britain's oldest university
- Excellent value: price includes accommodation and full board
The aim of the course
Spectrum management requires knowledge of an unusually wide range of disciplines: engineering, economics, law, policy and regulation. It is also a field where accepted practices are changing rapidly. The increasing demand for spectrum fostered a growth in market- orientated approaches to spectrum management but the latest approaches lean more towards sharing as the dominant paradigm. This course delivers the essential technical foundations needed to support modern spectrum management while bringing attendees up to speed with the latest thinking in a range of other areas.
Who should attend?
The course is aimed at people who either work for regulators or a commercial organisation which needs to understand the principles of spectrum management. The programme is particularly relevant for the following fields: mobile; broadcasting; wireless broadband; electronics manufacturers; and public sector spectrum users such as aviation, maritime, emergency services and military.
The content is well suited to three groups of people:
- staff wanting a solid grounding in all aspects of spectrum management
- those experienced in one aspect of spectrum management seeking to broaden their knowledge
- staff wanting to familiarise themselves with the latest thinking in the field
The benefits of the course
The course is not just an opportunity to learn; it is a unique opportunity to debate the latest thinking with world-renowned experts who helped develop the central principles of modern spectrum management. Further benefits include:
- A chance to share experiences with colleagues from other countries
- Comprehensive reading pack included
- Social events reflecting the unique historic nature of Oxford
- Ideal learning environment: the peaceful and historic grounds of Harris Manchester College
- Accommodation and full board included in the price
- Certificate on completion of the course
- “I rank the seminar as one of the best I have ever attended”
- "I particularly enjoyed the transmitter location exercise"
- "The course was very well planned with good speakers in a very nice surrounding"
- “Technical part was superb, in depth but still understandable (even for a lawyer!)”
- “The course was very interactive and many experiences were shared between students & sages!”
- “Relaxed atmosphere encouraged discussion”
- “The discussion on the transition from the command and control approach towards the market driven approach was particularly enriching”
- “The technical content was very well thought out and pitched at the appropriate level. ”
- “Interesting discussions amongst the delegates, different point of views”
The standard price for the course is £2745 + VAT for delegates booking on or before 17 August 2015. Thereafter the price is £2995 + VAT There is a further discount for PolicyTracker subscribers. Full details are online and on the booking form on the back page of the course brochure.
Booking your place
Class size is limited to a maximum of 20.
The course organisers
The course is being run by LS telcom and PT Publishing.
PT Publishing produces PolicyTracker, the online and printed journal of spectrum management as well as business reports and conferences.
LS telcom is a worldwide market leader in the provision of strategic and technical consulting; training on technologies, regulation and policy; automated spectrum management and monitoring systems; and planning and optimisation software.